We aim to improve the quality of life of Chinese seniors and families with an intergenerational approach. We do so by addressing seniors’ needs and service gaps at individual and community levels.
- translation and interpretation
- fun social and cultural events
- home visits with light supports by volunteers
- accompaniment for doctor and hospital visits
- help with government benefits
- referral to neighbourhood health and social services
- communicate with landlord or filing complaints about housing issues
- help find housing and apply for SAFER rent subsidy
Chinese Seniors Outreach Worker
chaanelly [at] gmail
This project is made possible by United Way.
Youth for Chinese Seniors Volunteer Opportunity
The Youth for Chinese Seniors Project are seeking dynamic multi-lingual candidates to serve as volunteers with Chinese seniors in the Downtown Eastside. Volunteers will shape the project’s first year and beyond, reaching out to Chinese seniors and families living in low-income housing in the Downtown Eastside and providing support where needed. Outreach for this position is focused on youth, but anyone is welcome to apply. This is an ongoing volunteer position based in Vancouver Coast Salish Territories.
About the Volunteer Position
Youth for Chinese Seniors volunteers will receive training on organizing skills, issues affecting the low-income Chinese community, and elder issues. Volunteers will work on the ground with seniors to help them access the services they need and bring the Chinese senior community together to identify and address the most pressing issues affecting Chinese residents in the Downtown Eastside.
- Outreach (door-knocking) in BC Housing, non-profit, and privately-owned buildings
- Support for Chinese seniors, such as doing home visits (volunteers must be 19+), translation and interpretation, accompaniment to medical appointments, and more
- Educate broader DTES community groups on Chinese seniors’ needs
- Provide translation support for coordinator if volunteer can read/write Chinese
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Cultural competency in working with Chinese communities
- Multilingual in English and Cantonese or Mandarin (or related dialects)
We prefer volunteers who have availability on weekdays during the day. Volunteers typically commit 5-20 hours a month. The project runs from now until the end of March 2016, pending grant renewal.
Apply here: http://goo.gl/forms/e2yvMX6kiU
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Send inquiries to Chanel at chaanelly [at] gmail.com.
*Banner illustration by Roseanne Lambert